Austroraptor is a common species of raptor on the ark, to the point is regularly encountered by even the newest of survivors. Although startling, this isn't actually a problem, as Austroraptor, unlike all other raptors, is extremely calm and friendly towards humans and herbivores. This is because Austroraptor is exclusively piscivorous: it prefers a diet of nothing but fish! It's sharp teeth and claws are adapted to slicing and hunting fish, not larger, meatier animals, and as such, is an incredibly placid creature. Even somewhat timid. Early survivors value them over Utahraptor for one simple reason. Whereas Utahraptor is better at pack hunting and comabat, Austroraptor prioritizes Survival over sheer combat power. It has excellent stamina and great speed, which is excellent for helping newer survivors flee from threats. Furthermore, it's an excellent swimmer, sometimes even being able to dive to catch fish. With this swim speed and oxygen, it makes escaping into water to flee from danger not also very viable, but they can help their owners on shallow-water dives and protect them from potential predators. Furthermore their ability to easily kill fish can help provide a steady supply of fish meat for both master and Austroraptor. And on another side, Austroraptor can be trained to use it's teeth and claws for excellent shearing tools, snipping plants for valuable fibers and berries! All of this combined makes Austroraptor a must-have for any survivor starting out.
Color Region 0 - Feathers
Color Region 1 - Crests
Color Region 2 - Main Body
Color Region 3 - Stripes
Color Region 5 - Underside
X Variant -
Color Region 0 - Feathers
Color Region 2 - Pattern 1
Color Region 3 - Pattern 2
Color Region 5 - Pattern 3
Base Stats, Controls, and Abilities
Left Click - Bite
16 Base Damage - Gathers Organic Polymer - Instantly Kills Small Fish
Right Click - Claw Swipes
12 Base Damage - Gathers Berries and Fiber
C - Bark
X (Water) - Dash
28 Base Damage
Spacebar - Jump
Austroraptor can jump out of the water.
- Austroraptor means "Southern Thief".
- The feathers on the austroraptor are designed to be fluke-like, giving more hints to its aquatics nature.
- Austroraptor was part of a fish-eating lineage of raptors that took over the role spinosaurs had when they became extinct.
- Austroraptor, despite it's fish-hunting nature, was actually one of the largest raptors ever. Very few raptors actually got to its size, but it does have contemporaries. Dakotaraptor and Achillobator are around the same size as Austroraptor, and Utahraptor is even bigger than all of them.
- Austroraptor used to be in the first Additional Creatures mod before it recieved a TLC, where it was then moved to Additional Creatures 2: Wild ARK. For the most part, it's role in ARK stayed the same, but it became more absolute in it's role, becoming more aquatic and less combat-focused. Its second TLC saw be given an overall buff in stats and continued aquatic affinity, including faster swim speed and an underwater dash attack.
- Although it did hunt fish in life, scientists are skeptical that it was actually aquatic. They find it more believable it had a lifestyle more like a heron or crane than a duck or cormorant.
- Many of the Austroraptor's sounds originate from the Austroraptor in The Isle.