With the original species back home being an enigma, it is quite an experience to witness Megaraptor venator in the flesh. Although this creature looks like a relative of the larger Allosaurus, Megaraptor is in fact a very distant cousin of the larger and much more commonly known Tyrannosaurus!
Ironically enough, Megaraptor venator does actually behave fitting a hybrid of Allosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. An Allosaurus-like body plan gives Megaraptor immense speed for its size class and surprising versatility; & like the Tyrannosaurus, it is capable of taking much more of a beating and dealing much more damage than other creatures its size! This places Megaraptor firmly at the top of the island’s “middle carnivores”.
With the speed and capability of Allosaurus, yet the power and durability of Tyrannosaurus, Megaraptor stands as the true “king” of the middle carnivores, with Carnotaurus especially finding itself bullied by this larger predator frequently.
The Tyrannosaurus genes in the Megaraptor further emerge by the carnivore having a very powerful set of jaws. As a matter of fact, Megaraptor’s favorite method of killing smaller animals (including humans) is to deliver a firm bite to grab its victim, and then crunch the life out of it
with powerful bites until it finally goes limp with Megaraptor’s lethal jaws!
Despite its infamy & danger, Megaraptor is arguably one of the most well-known and loved large carnivores of the island. Due to its appearance & wide versatility, I’m not surprised. Megaraptor is fast, yet durable. Megaraptor is adaptable, yet it’s powerful. Furthering its appeal is the ability to pick up an enemy on the fly and quickly dispatch it; and still be ready for the battle ahead.
Tribes and survivors both early and advanced find incredible value in Megaraptor, and it has resulted in this little-known carnivore being a VERY spoken of and well-known (even respected) dinosaur. A solid choice for any survivor. For the little-known Megaraptor, I strangely feel that this is the break the poor theropod needed.
Color Region 0 - Crown of Head
Color Region 1 - Feet
Color Region 2 - Underside
Color Region 4 - Majority of Body
Color Region 5 - Highlights
Base Stats, Controls, and Abilities
Left Click - Bite
45 Base Damage - Drains Stamina
Right Click - Roar
C - Grab Bite
30 Base Damage - Hits Twice - Picks Up Smaller Creatures
Spacebar - Jump
The Megaraptor has a semi-armored body, which makes it only take about 85% of incoming damage.
The Megaraptor, when close to an apex predator like Tyrannosaurus, receives a buff that boosts its attack by 25% and its defense by 15%.
- Megaraptor is the mascot for the original Additional Creatures mod, and the first in the mod alongside the now removed Acrocanthosaurus.
- Megaraptor means "Big Thief" with venator meaning "hunter".
- The dossier readings for the Megaraptor hint to its current taxonomic crisis, as it is unknown exactly where it lies in the theropod family tree.
- The Megaraptor was added to the mod due to it being the favorite dinosaur of a friend of the mod developer.
- Megaraptor is part of the family of theropod dinosaurs known as Megaraptorans. This group was discovered quite recently, with Australovenator's discovery in 2009 making scientists realize an entirely new family has been discovered. Little is known about their lifestyle or evolutionary relationship with other theropods, but they are all known for impressively large hand claws, which have been compared to the large sickle foot claws on dromaeosaurs. Another dinosaur besides Megaraptor in this group is the smaller Australovenator.
- The sounds of the Megaraptor originate from the theropod dinosaurs in Planet Dinosaur.
- The Megaraptor greatly resembles Papo's Allosaurus in aesthetic.