Rex's Asian cousin, this species seems larger than the ARK's rex, whereas back home it were the opposite. Tarbosaurus steintherium is a somewhat rare creature on Aberrant and standard Arks, similar to another carnivore, Carcharodontosaurus. Yet on Scorched Earth, Tarbosaurus stands firm as Carcharodontosaurus's rival for Apex of the ark in place of the rarer Tyrannosaurus. Fights between Carcharodontosaurus and Tarbosaurus are especially known for being rather brutal, and that's no surprise granted their heavy contested positions in the ecosystem. Where Carcharodontosaurus tends to patrol the more open areas of the deserts, Tarbosaurus took to the rocky badlands and heat-scorched mountains. There in attempting to lower the amount of conflict with Carcharodontosaurus, Tarbosaurus started coming into direct competition with Rock Golems. Fed up with rivals, Tarbosaurus did not stray from the hulking brutes like many did. Rather,
Tarbosaurus took them head on in a battle of “king of the mountain”. This lead to Tarbosaurus's thick scuted armor, and its extremely powerful bite. Though still physically weaker than the bite of tyrannosaurus, Tarbosaurus's bones and jaw muscles have developed in such a way it allows it to crunch through dense objects with ease. Tarbosaurus's Furious strength and bulky resistance make it a popular choice for those who have to choose between it, Tyrannosaurus, and Carcharodontosaurus.
Color Region 0 - Dorsal
Color Region 3 - Legs and Body Highlights
Color Region 4 - Majority of Osteoderms
Color Region 5 - Underside
Base Stats, Controls, and Abilities
Left Click - Bite
60 Base Damage - Ignores Armor - Damages Stone Structures
Right Click - Booming Roar
70 Base Damage - High Knockback
The Tarbosaurus inflicts 1.5x damage to Rock Elementals, Reapers, and Nameless.
Stone, Metal, and Wood have reduced weight in its inventory.
Tarbosaurus are armored, taking only 80% of incoming damage.
Tarbosaurus takes 1.5x damage from explosions, creatures that damage stone, and tek.
- Tarbosaurus means "Alarming Lizard", with steintherium meaning "stone beast".
- Tarbosaurus is one of the largest tyrannosaurs, only beaten by Tyrannosaurus and potentially Zhuchengtyrannus in size.
- Tarbosaurus has been a subject of controversy ever since its discovery due to it being incredibly similar to Tyrannosaurus. Many argue, to this day, that it should be a species of Tyrannosaurus rather than its own genus. However, it's lighter built and morphological differences make this not too likely.
- Tarbosaurus is one of the few large carnivores that has evidence for living in groups, which might have to do with some of the more hazardous prey it coexisted with like Therizinosaurus and Deinocheirus.
- Tarbosaurus was originally intended to have a tek saddle, but problems with the model prevented this from happening.